Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Never a day goes by when there's not something to say about the game

Wow!  Here it is August 10th and in the rush of "important things to do" like help pull off a baby shower for fifty or so close personal friends of daughter I haven't had time to post exciting and not so exciting soccer news.   
This morning the Timbers' organization shot out an email inviting me to respond quickly and get to attend the press conference tomorrow at which John Spencer will be presented as the Timbers' first MLS coach.  I sent a reply that I was sorry I wasn't able to be there regardless and was glad that all my earlier posts about Spencer's similarities to John Bain would not be in vain.  
And the Timbers also had much to crow about with the undefeated run of the PDL U23 team from start to championship in twenty matches.  I wasn't able to attend any of those games because of the important, aforementioned family activities,  but I was able to give away my tickets to friends.
They went and really enjoyed the development team's performances.   In fact,  I got a report back that the youngsters were "better than the real Timbers".   Ouch!   Although I have to say after watching the last match on stream,  it weren't pretty.
And in more development team news,  the US tonight put themselves out for a drubbing by the Brazilians who clearly felt that they had much to prove after going home early from South Africa.  The South Americans clearly wanted to show that they knew how to move the ball around with small-side passing and to play something like the beautiful game without resorting to bulling their way to victory.   There was a little of the "argy bargy" in the game,   but Brazil was assertive, organized,  and effective.   The new kid,  Neymar,   scored a pretty goal and showed he could turn just about anyone on the US team.    The US had a brace of chances but was not really effective after the first forty minutes had passed.   American forwards,  Buddle and Altidore and Findley didn't have much impact.  It was young Bradley who had a goal called back on offside and the newcomer, Gomez, who put a great header into the mashup and almost tallied.   Findley just had a birthday last week but apparently no one bought him a present.     What was good was that Coach Bradley did put a fair number of newcomers in play and gave a look to the future.   Whether Bradley himself will be directing that future isn't clear.   But it's good to get the kids out there.  
So...back to the U23 Developmental team championship here this weekend.   If I were tied into the news feed from MLS or USSF I would know this better,  but I wonder how the young talents throughout the development league get a look from the national coaching staff.   There aren't enough slots in the MLS to show off all the young players coming up who might be the next Landon or Dempsey.  I know.  I know....   There's the national development teams too.   I just think it's tough in a country as big and geographically distributed as the US for the selection process to cover all the bases.   
Speaking of MLS,  my inquiry to the league last week has met so far with silence....
Oh...and congratulations to the Eastside United boys for their National Title too!  First time since 1994 when FC Portland sent a team to triumph.   
Like I said...lots to talk about.  Not enough time.   Gotta go!

No comments:

Post a Comment