Monday, August 23, 2010

Portland Timbers v Minnesota Stars

I don't see myself as the blogger who does the comprehensive match reports.  Check out Allison's The Timber Mill for that.   But I do like to comment.   If you weren't able to stream the match, click on the link at the blog title to see the Minnesota Stars highlights.   Once again,  we owe this match to Bright Dike's athleticism and speed as he picks the pocket of the last Minnesota defender in the second half to steal the ball and earn a mano a mano run on Warren,  the Stars' keeper, who was forced to foul him to save the goal.  In steps Ryan Pore to knock the ensuing PK home.    It is odd to me that Pore, the league's leading scorer,  has taken home six of his goals on PKs.   Three of them, I believe, against the Stars!   Is this the face of the new soccer?  I hope not.   
On a soccer trivia note,  I kept wondering what the NSC was about in the Minnesota Stars' name. National Security Council?  Scary!  But it's apparently the National Sports Center which took a leading role in unfolding this team from the financially struggling Thunder.    Based on the attendance this weekend of fewer than 2,000 folks,  I'd say there are still issues here.   And it reminds me to wonder whether a league is viable if it has a half dozen solid teams who are doing wonderfully and well-loved in their communities while the ten other franchises are limping along like some barnstorming 1930's baseball teams.   I don't know the answer,  but I've seen too many "Rise and Fall of American Soccer" stories to take the question lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment