Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Errata...a tsunami of errata

I don't aspire to be the prissy arbiter of everyone else's grammar and language.   I make mistakes intentional and unintentional.   But at the same time,  I find myself bedazzled and not in a good way by the wrongness of print and online media---as in just plain 'what were you thinking?' stupid. Today's Oregonian picked up the feed on MLS matches last night.  And the headline for the San Jose v RSL match is scrambled exactly wrong. And seems silly when the article is read and says the opposite.  Why?  I don't know but the incidence of errors in print media seems to me to be accelerating rapidly.  Two years ago I would decry occasional typos in which spell check had obviously been the arbiter of correctness and had failed.
So here we are today with a headline that is goofy and wrong.   Thank God it's the sports page.   Imagine if this was about the election of a president!   And the wrong person was being announced as the winner.   We need to do better than this on all fronts.  Writing it right is the job of journalists.   And this doesn't make the cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment