Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Halftime at the Dutch v Uruguay match!

What a great first half!  An even up game with two beautifully delivered goals.  Who would have guessed.  Admittedly the patient Dutch have had more of the play and the Celeste (really?) have had trouble with putting balls astray but it's been fun to watch.   I'm getting multiple benefits from the experience too.  We don't have the full meal deal of cable channels so I'm watching on Telemundo which has been my 'scuola d'el Espaniol'  or something like that.  It's not as much help to my Spanish spelling as it is to vocabulary development.   I like it.   Soccer is not a game that requires a lot of commentary.  At least if you know what you're looking at.   The Spanish commentary was not very helpful in explaining the boot to the head of De Zeeuw when a Uruguayan player executed a bicycle kick.  An ugly looking smack though not a falta...um foul as best I could tell.   Interesting to me,  the Big O still does not list Telemundo's broadcasts in its TV sports listings.   I guess the presumption must be that only a miniscule Spanish-speaking audience reads their sports page.  Actually,  I'm guessing that  the audience speaking any language and reading the sports page is going down.   


I was also happy to find out that the matches were midday.   After facing 6:30 am games early in the tournament,  it's throwing me off my schedule to be watching at noon.   Foolishly I had sent an email off to a friend suggesting we get together 'someplace open real early with coffee and rolls where they might have the game on.'    Oh well.    


Time to get back to the game.  

No comments:

Post a Comment