Saturday, July 3, 2010

It must be the grass from Oregon

No...not that grass!  The fields for World Cup are partly seeded with good ol' Willamette Valley grass.  I'm thinking that's gotta be the factor that accounts for this year's World Cup matches being so broadly more exciting than those of some recent cups.
So. To illustrate my point,  Germany became the UberTeam by crashing through the Argentinians for four goals this morning before I'd even had my coffee.   I didn't see it,  but I saw the replays of Maradona's anquish on the sidelines.   It may be repayment for the Mano del Dio.   Apparently the ten earlier goals were more a reflection of individual talent against lesser opponents than of a well-crafted tactical machine that would hold up under pressure.  
I did tune in for Spain's battle with Paraguay and was completely rewarded.   It was one of those moments when I almost wished that both teams could advance.   Paraguay was gritty,  played as a team,  did not give up, and had opportunities including a goal called back for offside.  Paraguay's Alcaraz, who plays for Brugge and has been an anchor of the country's stout defense,  was in agony after giving up the original penalty.  The Paraguayan keeper, Villar,  faced with a Spanish penalty kick,  managed to stop it (admittedly only on the second go) and escaped a possible red card as he flung himself after the loose ball and took down a Spanish attacker just wide of the goalpost. 
Spain, by comparison, struggled to find its form in the first half as Paraguay threw itself in the way of the normal Iberian fluidity.  In the second half,  though,  the Spaniards looked more poised and patient and increasingly their style showed.  A moment of serious heartburn occurred when Pique was called for pulling down his mark in the box on a setpiece.  The replay in slowmo fully justified the call.   And the ensuing PK (a PK from Pique?) looked like it would put the South Americans ahead but Casillas made an extraordinary save, holding the ball close.  
It wasn't until Villa's strike late in the game that Spain took the lead and were able to bring the suspense to an end.   
But again officiating stuck its grimy finger into the regular run of things and affected the outcome.   The penalty that Paraguay escaped?   Batres,  the Center from Guatemala,  called back the first penalty which had gone in the net.   The reason, he indicated, was that players had encroached before the ball was kicked.   And it appeared that was true.  But ironically,  a brief replay of the penalty at the other end of the pitch showed that players appeared to be encroaching in that instance as well.   The problem of inconsistency is heightened when the ref's decision took a goal from Spain but also might have given Paraguay a second crack at the net. 
Not quite the Shakespearean drama of the Ghana v Uruguay match,  but this one was full of emotion and demonstrations of great heart on both sides of the pitch.   I'd say it was among the best matches I've seen in this competition.   And there've been quite a few.
So my predictions for the final four?  Only half right.  I got Spain and the Netherlands.  But I'm content.   And as I look at the clock I realize I've got to get on my pony and head for town!  The Timbers are taking on the 'Caps in an hour.   I need to be there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment