Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Morning After...

At five thirty last evening,  I was waiting to meet up with my group and hand out their tickets when I spied my friend Roger.   Like me,  he's been going to Timbers games for some decades now.  I hailed him and he told me he'd confronted a moral dilemma on the way to PGE Park.   "I saw two sizeable groups of people dressed in Sounders gear heading the wrong way.  I asked myself what was the right thing to do.  And decided since they had two hours to find the stadium,  I wasn't obligated to jump in and give them directions."   I assured him that he was on moral solid ground, and besides, they were probably just looking for a bar to "refresh" before the match.  
When the team finally took the field last night,  the lineup choices were interesting.  Think that Dike and Taki both contributed a lot as did Nemo.  Seemed as if Ryan Pore was a a little on edge.  And Cronin as well.  Sitting in the stands and waiting for the game to begin,  several of us talked about how much attention was given to not letting in an early goal.   I guess the thirteenth minute isn't real early, but it was dismaying to let one in before we'd found our pace in the game.   I liked the team's aggression out of the gate.  Was good stuff.   I still wish Dansu would distribute the ball out of the back with more control.   On that score,  I was impressed with Ross Smith's play.  As an aside I noted that Smith's retro shorts have attracted notice from folks other than me.  Open Letter to Ross Smith on Soccer City USA is an example.  I couldn't help but notice that his display photo for the Timbers' shows him with a kind of kewpie hair style.  What are they trying to do to this guy?   
Kasey Keller?  Can't minimize how much his poise contributes in a shootout situation.   Oh...and I was disappointed that the team wasn't able to do more when the Sounders went down a man.  It was clear toward the end that Dike had burned through his reserves of energy,  a great effort.  I might have given him a break earlier.  Keita didn't have time to get his stride coming in as late as he did.   Well...I'm not in charge.  Easy to make decisions after the fact.  
Oh...it was great to see the Army in full roar.  And many more of them filling the Army sections. The new season ticket plan (yes I got mine) having Timbers Army designated sections and tickets is a great idea.   The quibble I have is the outliers from the Army who are not sitting with the group but feel obliged to go through all the ritual moves the Army does with little regard for the people sitting around them.   If you're a six foot tall guy standing up and holding your scarf over your head with ten rows of people behind you trying to see the goal we're attacking,  you are going to be a nuisance.   All of those of other folks are your fellow Timbers fans; getting mad at them when they ask politely that you put your scarf down is lame.   So put your friggin' scarf down!    
I think the real test for our side is coming up Saturday when the Caps revisit.   Can we put together a good competition and win against a fierce rival in a game that counts?  Can we avoid making the twenty or so passes to the other team that cause people like myself to grit our teeth? 
God, I hope so.  If there is a god of soccer,  I hope he or she can spare a little kindness in a busy football week for the Boys in Green.    Peace out!  

No comments:

Post a Comment